Aromatic Spicy Beef
Indonesian Spicy Beef Recipe is an excellent variation for dinner. Serve best with some Chinese vegetable like stir fry Kai Choy, Chinese vegetable. Or you can add some pickled vegetables to your meal and you’ve got the perfect dinner for a summer hot day.
It's a beef recipe cooking in sweet soy sauce with lots of Birdseye chilies. It’s a little bit spicy and tasty. Very suitable for a side dish. Also it’s very suitable as an adding to Yellow Rice tumpeng. It could be one of your party dishes.
Most people like it because it’s not too heavy and tasteful with some warm rice and krupuk.
The Spicy Beef Recipe
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Serve: 5 people
- 1/2 kg lean beef (chuck, round steak)
- 3 tabs vegetable oil
- 10 tabs sweet soy sauce
- 150 cc water
- 2 tomatoes, sliced in small pieces
- 20 Birdseye chilies, left whole
- 2 Chinese celery stalks, sliced
- 5 shallots
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 3 candlenuts
- Make a smooth paste of shallots, garlic, coriander seeds, and candlenuts. Set aside.
- Cut the beef fairly thin and trim it into small square pieces.
- Heat the oil and fry the paste until fragrant on medium heat.
- Add the beef and stir fry until slices are coated. Cover the pan with lid and let it simmer with low fire until the juice come out of the meat for about 1/2 hour
- Add the sweet soy sauce, the tomatoes and water. Let it simmer until beef is tender on low fire. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours
- Add chilies and celery. Continue simmering until chilies are softened.
- Ready to serve.
Back to Meat Recipe
Return from Aromatic Spicy Beef to Indonesian Recipe
Herbs and Spices