with Soya Bean Sauce
Oriental Recipe with unique taste
Tofu with fermented soya bean sauce or in Indonesian tofu with "tauco", the original Indonesian name of this sauce.
I can say that not many people outside Asia would like this dish. This oriental recipe is pretty unique, it has an unusual taste.
Soya bean sauce is very local and very usual sauce in Indonesia especially in the villages. They use this sauce as a dipping for cooked or steamed cassava and papaya leaves that they can pick from their own garden. The combination of the freshness of the just picked leaves and the sauce are really delicious with warm rice, fried tofu and spicy condiment of course. And you got the perfect lunch.
You can get this sauce in almost every supermarket or little shop on the street in Indonesia. But the most delicious sauce you can get in Cianjur, the town between Sukabumi and Bandung. This is the place you have to be if you're interested to buy this sauce.
If you stay in Europe and if you like this dish and try to buy it, I think you would be disappointed. You can barely find this dish around Europe. Many people would ask me “what is that”, but the taste is really tasteful and salty, at least if you like soya bean sauce. So try to make it by yourself. You would be satisfied. And you can easily find this sauce at the Chinese supermarket.
- 1 big tofu or 4 squares of tofu
- Vegetable oil
- 5 shallots, finely minced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon ground red chillies
- 200 gram fermented soya beans, be careful to add some salt, because this sauce is very salty. Add some sugar if you want to dilute the salty taste.
- 10 red chillies, seeded and cut in slices
- 10 green chillies, seeded and cut in slices
- 1/4 kg chicken filet (optional, you can also use shrimp if you like it), wash with lemon juice or white vinegar and cut in small pieces
- 4 tablespoon sweet soya sauce
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 200 cc water
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- Cut the tofu in 2x2x2 cm squares and fry in hot oil until half done. Remove and set aside.
- Fry the shallots, garlic, ground red chillies, and the fermented soya beans sauce. Add the slices red and green chillies and stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, sweet soya sauce, salt and sugar. Stir it on low fire until the chicken is done
- After a few minutes, add the water and stir the mixture.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Continue cooking until everything is cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tofu at the end. Lower the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
For 8 people
Back from Tofu with soya bean sauce to Indonesian Recipe