Fried Chicken with Coconut Juice
Chicken recipe with
refreshing taste of coconut juice
Indonesian Fried Chicken with coconut juice, one of the unique chicken recipe. That's very different than chicken curries which use coconut milk.
We will use coconut juice instead coconut milk which give more refreshing taste than coconut milk.
In Indonesian we call this chicken recipe "Ayam Kalasan" is very common recipe by many Indonesian people. But I don't think that this chicken breast recipe very popular outside Indonesia. Just try the recipe. I think you would like it. It has a refreshing taste of coconut juice.
Preparation time: 1/2 hour Cooking time: 1 hour Serve: 6 people
- 6 pieces of chicken breast or chicken pieces, any part you like
- 500 cc coconut juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Vegetable oil
- Rub the chicken breast with vinegar or lemon juice. Let stand for a while and then wash with clean water.
- Boil the chicken in the coconut juice, baking soda, garlic and salt until it’s tender and the liquid has been reduced.
- When the liquid reduced too much, add more coconut juice or fresh water, it is up to you. Remove and drain the chicken.
- Heat the oil and fry the chicken until golden brown. Take care not to fry the chicken too long, so that it will dry out.
- Remove and serve with sambal.
Recipe for sambal:
- 100 gram red chilies
- 20 Birdseye chilies
- 5 Shallots
- 1 tomato
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 tablespoon vegetable oil, or you can use olive oil
- Make a smooth paste of the chilies, shallots and tomato. Use pestle and mortar in traditional way. If you don’t have one and not much time, food processor could be the solution, fast and easy.
- Add salt, sugar and oil.
- Fry over low heat until the oil comes out.
- Ready to serve.
Sambal can be store for a long time in the small container in the refrigerator. Or if you want store it for a month or two, store it in the freezer.
Return from Chicken with coconut juice to Indonesian Recipe
Herbs and Spices