Authentic Indonesian Food, Great taste but unique
Lamb curry or Gulai Kambing is a particular Indonesian food with unique taste. Not everybody like it. You have to like lamb first to like this authentic Indonesian cuisine.
But this is one favorite of my son, who almost doesn’t like anything, strange but true. It’s taste really good if you make it on the right way. Just try, maybe you would like it.
Try something different tonight; surprise your family with this Indonesian lamb curry recipe.
- 1 kilogram lamb meat
- 5 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cardamom seeds
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 piece of galangal (1 inch), smashed
- 2 lemon grass stalks, bruised
- 1 inch ginger
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1500 cc thin coconut milk
- 1500 cc thick coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 red chilies
- 10 shallots
- 5 cloves garlic
- 5 candlenuts
- inch fresh turmeric, it can be substitute by 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon anise
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- salt to your taste
- Palm or brown sugar to your taste
- Red chilies, shallots, garlic, candlenuts, turmeric, coriander seeds, anise, fennel seeds mix together in the food processor, blend it until you get the smooth paste, set aside
- Trim the meat and cut into cubes
- Heat the oil in the pan and fry the smooth paste until fragrant, add the cardamom seeds, cinnamon, galangal, lemon grass, bay leaves, and kaffir lime leaves, set on low fire.
- After a minute or two, add the meat and stir it. Let ist simmer with tip. Set on very low fire. Wait a few minutes, stir it again. Cover the pan again until the juice out from the meat. Set after that on middle fire
- Add the thin coconut milk. Continue cooking while stirring until the meat is tender.
- If the coconut milk begins to dry out and the meat is not tender yet, add some hot water
- Add the thick santan and heat to boiling. Lower the heat and continue cooking until oil comes out of the sauce
- Add some salt and sugar. Let them cooked again, taste it and correct the seasoning if needed.
- Served with some krupuk and sambal.
For 12 persons
Return from Lamb curry recipe to Indonesian Recipe
Herbs and Spices