Healthy side dishes for much Indonesian food
Yellow Pickled vegetables is a healthy vegetable recipe. We use them as a side dishes for much Indonesian food. Mie goreng or fried noodle is an excellent example where this low calorie vegetarian recipe mostly used, or savory martabak is very delicious with this dish.
- 3 carrots, cut in long pieces, about 2 inch long
- 1 Cucumber, seeded and sliced in long pieces like the carrots
- 100 gram green beans, sliced in long pieces
- 10 little Shallots, left whole
- 4 Red Chilies, seeded and quartered in 2 inch long
- 15 Birdseye chilies
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 250 cc water
- a pinch of sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lemon grass stalk, cut in 3 pieces, bruised
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch of fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Pour salt into all vegetables and let them sit for about 20 minutes. Rinse them off in water and drain
- Make a smooth paste of garlic, ginger and turmeric
- Heat the vegetable oil in the pan and add the smooth paste. Fry and stir it until fragrant. Add lemon grass, stir it for a few minutes.
- Add water with vinegar, salt and sugar. Cook for a few minutes. Taste it. Add some more sugar if you like more sweet isteas more sour
- Add the vegetables and stir them occasionally until they are evenly coated with the spices
- Remove from the heat when the vegetable are still crispy.
- The taste has to be sweet and sour.
For 6 persons
Return from Indonesian Yellow Pickled vegetables to Indonesian recipe
Herbs and Spices