Curry of Bamboo shoots with beef
Gulai Rebung is a dish with bamboo shoots. Bamboo shoots is normally used to make loempia, but this is one is very particular dish. People tend not to make dish from bamboo shoots. It has a particular taste... I would say you don’t know the taste until you try it. Its worth to try it, maybe you would like it but this dish is very heavy because it’s used santan as a sauce.
- 300 gr fresh bamboo shoots, cleaned and sliced thinly. Or you can use bamboo shoots from the can, easy to find at supermarket.
- 300 gr Beef, cubed
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 piece of galangal (1 inch), bruised
- 1 lemon grass stalk, bruised
- 2 Bay leaves
- 500 cc thin santan
- 375 cc thick santan
- 7 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 4 red chilies
- 5 candlenuts
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- Make a smooth paste of shallots, garlic, coriander seeds, chilies, candlenuts, and turmeric. Set aside
- Boil the bamboo shoots until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil and fry the smooth paste until fragrant.
- Add galangal, lemon grass, and bay leaves.
- Add the beef, stir it and cover up the pan. Set on low fire. Stir it again and let them cook until the juice come out from the beef.
- Add thin santan. Bring to a boil.
- Add the bamboo shoots and the thick santan. Bring to a boil again while stirring it frequently.
- Add some salt and pepper. Taste it. And if needed add more salt to your taste, but not too much pepper, about ½ tsp would be enough.
- Lower the heat and simmer until oil comes out of the santan.
For 8 persons
Return from Gulai Rebung to Indonesian Recipe
Herbs and Spice